内容 |
一场秋雨一场寒 超超超超长版的三伏天 终于结束啦~~~ 现在各地是不是已经渐渐转凉了
hot air是不是也渐渐消散了 北美君来考考大家 "hot air"只有字面的意思么?? 当然不是!! 【热胀冷缩,热空气是往上走,吹牛皮也是越吹越大往上飘,所以"hot air"常表示某人吹牛,讲大话】
例如:
His justification for the merger was just hot air.
他提出的合并理由只是空话连篇。
Don’t mention it. He is so full of hot air. 别提了,他都在胡扯。
▲ hot potato 棘手的问题(或情况等),烫手山芋 例如:
No matter what happened, I would not drop you like a hot potato. 不管发生什么,我都不会丢弃你这个麻烦的。
How to solve the problem is a hot potato. 如何解决这个问题,倒是一个烫手山芋。 例如:
If you lie to your teacher, you will be in the hot seat.
如果你对你的老师撒谎,你会有麻烦的。
You may find yourself sitting in a hot seat if you change your mind.
如果你改变主意,将置自己于尴尬的处境中。 例如:
I've got used to the hot food here.
我已经习惯了这里辣的食物。
I like hot food, especially Sichuan cuisine. 我喜欢吃辣味的食物,尤其是川菜。 例如:
Immigration is a hot button issue now.
移民问题现在已经变得非常敏感。
He touched on a number of hot button issues in an interview. 他在采访中谈到了许多热点话题。
|